Have your tyres checked – stay safe on the road
Driving on worn or old tyres can be a serious safety risk. We recommend you have your tyres checked regularly, which may be every six months or every 8000 kms for an “average” driver.
A tyre check involves:
- checking for damage or wear to your tyres
- checking and correcting the wheel balance as needed
- checking for damaged valve stems or caps
- checking your tyre pressure and setting it to the ideal setting for your vehicle and driving conditions
- rotating your tyres as needed
- replacing tyres that are no longer safe or will not meet NZTA requirements
All vehicles on the road in NZ must meet New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi requirements. The current requirement for tyre tread depth is a minimum of 1.5mm. We strongly advise you have an experienced panel beater like the team at Mt Roskill Collision Centre check this for you.
Other reasons to have your tyres checked
Don’t wait until the six-month mark or until the odometer clicks over another 8000 kms. Come in and see us for a tyre check if any of the following apply:
- you’ve purchased a used car – always have it checked before you start driving it, even if you don’t see any visible wear and tear or damage
- you suspect your vehicle isn’t driving well or feel it’s not gripping the road properly
- you notice any changes in the way your vehicle handles or drives
- you detect unusual noises or vibrations
- you hear squeaking or strange sounds coming from the tyres, wheels or axles
How often do you need to replace your tyres?
There is no clear answer on this because it depends largely on the existing condition of your tyres, your driving habits, road conditions, climate, and how well you look after your vehicle.
Tyre manufacturers will often suggest that new tyres will last up to ten years – however, ten years is the upper limit.
The best way to get the most life from your tyres is to have them regularly checked, maintained and rotated. Regular vehicle servicing will also help keep your tyres in good condition for longer.
Car tyre care package $165
- Adjust tyre pressure
- Wheel balance all 4 wheels
- Tyre rotation (if required)
Wheel Alignment (will include final report)